Wednesday, September 20, 2023

2023 Tea Encounter Huazhuliangzi: Slow Battery Charge



 This was included in a box of free samples from review from Tea Encounter.  This 2023 Tea Encounter HuaZhuLiangZi Gushu goes for $120.00 for 250g cake or $0.48/g.I don’t have too much experience with HuaZhuLiangZi area but what I have tried I really enjoyed.  I was excited to see Alex’s (Puerh Blog) notes on this on posted on his blog ang look forward to reading his notes on these other Gushus as well.  This was my least favourite of the Tea Encounter 2023 Gushus but I still got much enjoyment out of it.  I especially enjoyed its deep slow build battery charge Qi… haha.


Dry leaves has a sweet floral with stronger forest piercing odour.

First infusion has a sweet subtle candy grassy sweetness with a lubricating oily mouthfeel.

Second infusion is forestry creamy icing sugar sweet with faint cooling pungent breath.  Soft Qi feeling with enhanced senses. Cooled down it has a forestry taste.

Third infusion has a forestry fresh taste with edges of icing sugar sweetness.  There is a faint cooling pungency on the breath.  Soft qi feeling. 


The fourth infusion has a woody Forest taste with a slight chalky sort of sandy mouthfeel.  There is a nice cooling pungency finish.  The forestry almost woody taste stretches from start to finish.

The fifth infusion has a woody forest taste throughout.  The mouthfeel is a substantial chalky feeeling with a faint floaral creamy sweet finish on the cool breath.  Soft qi feeling with effortless calm energy boost.

The sixth in fusion has a woody Forest taste throughout with some fainter sweet floral.  Qi slowly builds and has a deeper energy now like a slow battery charge.


Seventh is put into a long overnight thermos steeping and is a nice deep forestry with a long lingering cool pungent floral.  Some salivating mouthfeel.  Some faint mild chalky pucker on the roof of the mouth.

Peace

2 comments:

Alex said...

Nice to see your reviews for the 2023 Tea Encounter Shengs - have been waiting for them ;-)
I really love Huazhu in general - and while Tiago's version is not on the same level as Peter's (prSK) it is still a nice tea and delivers the Huazhu experience. Only stamina could be a bit better but at this pricepoint I'm content with it.

Matt said...

Alex,

I also feel that this HuaZhuLiangZi is not as “big” as Shah8 puts it as the others I’ve tried. I had a 2018 Puerist HuaZhuLiangZi this morning for comparison and it was much deeper in all ways. The cool thing I liked about this HuaZhu was the deep slow to build restoring Qi feeling- it’s a rare Qi finding for something of this price point.

I haven’t tried Peter’s for over a decade but even then his Gushus were awesome!

Peace