Thursday, November 26, 2020

Revisit: 2006 Nan Qiao “Bulang Beauty”


I wanted to sample this one immediately after the 2006 Zi XiHao “Yin Cake” (aka “Black Label”) ( pictured right in the below wet leaves) because they are of the same year and kind of similar storage but also to try to detect some Banzhang blended material which this one is thought to possibly have.  Initially I claimed to have not detected any Banzhang in the blind sampling (link).  When I look back on myblind sampling of this one I think I really nailed it.  I think Marco would have had a chuckle as I questioned why on earth I couldn’t come up with the right Menghai Factory (Dayi) recipe when it was in fact a different yet very similar Menghai puerh factory! Hahahah…

The factory tight compression of dry leaves smell of smoky and fruity sweet odours.  Menghai factory type odours.  I leaf it much much lighter than my initial assessment which was way too strong and even harsh.  I use about ½ the leaf I usually use because this factory puerh is terribly powerful!  Most definitely the raw power could suggest Banzhang. First group of infusions give off a light fruity-honey woody taste with faint edges of smoky bbq in the distance with a watery almost drying mouthfeeling.  Fairly strong factory style Qi up front.  The mid-session develops some florals and fruity sweetness with honey- it’s really a typical classic factory character.  Dry-tightish stronger stimulating thin full coat mouthfeeling and slight tight throatfeeling.  Faint floralish candy lingers in the throat.  



I mug steep out the leaves and can feel a distinct alertness and chest pounding Qi especially in these longer infusions.  There is a small bit of smoke but mainly this woody not-that-sweet kind of bitter taste.  I still can’t really sense the banzhang material although it is known that Nan Qiao owns some land in Ban Zhang so blending some in is not out of the question.  Overall, this is not overly exciting puerh but enjoyable for what it is.  Personally I’d rather drink Dayi or the other Nanqiao Bulang offerings at Teas We Like.

Peace

No comments: