Friday, November 17, 2023

When the Autumn Cold Comes, Drink Aged Puerh

 I had a really wonderful month or so of fresh puerh reviews in early- to mid-Autumn from Tea Encounter, ChenYuan Hao and Puerist!  The last few years here in the Canadian prairies have had warm early- and mid-Autumns.  This weather makes it tolerable to even drink fresh puerh.  The last few years have also had early Winters with snow arriving before the end of October and staying until the melt off in Spring.  The intensity of the shift from warm to cold in a few weeks really shocks the system and sends you gravitating towards aged and semi aged puerh almost immediately.  This year was very much the same.

The last few years I had consumed no fresh puerh from this time until Spring.  This year the snow and cold came even a few weeks earlier and really gave the body a jolt.  As it were, I still had a few more fresh 2023 Chenyuan Hao samples left so I uncomfortably pushed through.  If they weren’t so damn good I surely would have waited for next year.  After finishing those off I have been really enjoying some aged puerh over the last few weeks here.  

I have been using my Large and XL Yixing pots and steeping out some satisfying aged puerh into a mug.  Typically I am steeping the same leaves out over 3-7 days.  It’s a really slow way of unraveling a puerh over a really long time and I’m quite enjoying it.  Many days I have spent sitting by the wood burning fireplace sipping at these comforting puerhs as the picturesque snow coats the world.  Some 90s stuff, Traditional Hongkong storage stuff,  some iron bings and even some Yang Qing Hao have been given the weeks long strong hand big pot treatment. Haha

I have, as I always have done for years now, been drinking lots of puerh from my favourite puerh vendor TeasWeLike.  The big size quarter cakes and full cakes leave me in no rush to evaluate and I catch myself lost in my enjoyment of drinking them as I think to myself “ I should really write something about this sometime.”  I made a few purchases over the last few months stocking some of my favourites to consume as it gets cold out.  They have such satisfying puerhs.  I am to post a bunch of it in the next month or so.

Until then…

Peace

2 comments:

Mr Peter Robertson said...

Matt

Can you explain the mechanics of the mug steeping process over a period of days? You're reheating the tea? How?

Matt said...

Mr Peter Robertson,

https://mattchasblog.blogspot.com/2023/11/single-gongfu-cha-session-lasts-week.html?m=0

Peace